AppleInsider is supported by its audience and you may earn commission as an Amazon Partner and Affiliate Partner on eligible purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not affect our editorial content.
If you are switching from Android to iPhone, but need to transfer your WhatsApp files from a Google Drive backup, here is how to do it.
People who switch between Android and iPhone often rely on apps to automatically handle user data intelligently. For example, using the same account details on the iPhone shows the same account information that is displayed from the app on the Android device.
However, not all apps do this with all their data. This is largely the case with WhatsApp.
For example, the app warns users that you can only verify an account with one number on one phone and that trying to switch an account between devices frequently could lead to an account ban.
This also extends to any conversations, files, or data that may have been created or received in the conversations. There is no easy way for regular users to make transfers within the app itself.
It becomes a more difficult problem if the WhatsApp data you want to transfer is already stored online via Google Drive. It might seem reasonable to restore from a Google Drive backup, but you can’t do that on an iPhone.
For example, WhatsApp for iOS only works with iCloud, not Google Drive, while the Android version works with Google Drive, not iCloud. You cannot transfer a portable Google Drive backup directly to the iOS version of WhatsApp.
Even if you have Google Drive installed on your iPhone, and even if WhatsApp uses Google Drive on iOS, differences in encryption protocols mean the data will likely not be read anyway.
There are ways to do this using Google Drive, one way using a tool called AnyTrans is much easier than the other.
Method 1: Using Google Drive and an Android smartphone
If the data you want to restore is only stored on Google Drive and you want it on your iPhone, then pulling it from cloud to iPhone will not work. If you have an Android smartphone nearby, you can use it to make the transfer instead.
There are two main steps to do this: restore your Google Drive backup and transfer. Before proceeding, make sure that your Android smartphone is linked to the correct Google account.
How to restore WhatsApp data from Google Drive to Android smartphone
- On your Android smartphone, install and open WhatsApp, and verify your number.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your Google Drive backup.
- Wait for the process to finish. Click Next.
- After restoring your chat logs, WhatsApp will then continue to restore your media files. Wait for this process to finish.
After restoring the backup, the next step is to send the data to the iPhone. Unfortunately, this is implemented using email.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone via Email
- Open WhatsApp on your Android device. Select the chat history you want to transfer.
- Tap Settings, then More, then Export Chat, then Email. Select whether you want to attach media from the conversation to the email.
- Enter the email address to send the record to and send the email.
- On the iPhone, open your email client and receive the chat history.
At this point, your WhatsApp messages will be stored as records in your email inbox, and can be accessed from your iPhone. You can’t import records to WhatsApp from export to email, but you can still access the threads via your email inbox.
Since there is no official way to restore from Google Drive to WhatsApp, this is as close as you can get with the tools readily available. This is also a very complex process and not one that the average user quickly realizes or stumbles upon when looking for a solution.
It is also not necessarily the best approach to data security and security due to the potential for data loss because you are using email.
There is a better way than using this method, which is AnyTrans.
Method 2: Using AnyTrans
AnyTrans is a tool that can manage and transfer your data between devices. An all-in-one manager for iPhone and iPad, it can handle multiple tasks, including migrating photos, music, backups, and content from select messaging apps.
As part of this, it can be used to restore WhatsApp backup directly from Google Drive to iPhone. It does this in such a way that it can keep the chat logs within the WhatsApp app itself rather than keeping them separately.
Besides chat logs, it can also relay all sent and received photos, music, videos, and files as part of a conversation thread. This means that you will not lose any of the private data you have shared with your contacts.
It is also a tool with a very high success rate for WhatsApp transfers, as it works with all iPhone models and even supports iOS 15. It does this entirely through a simple, fast, complete and smooth process, with the utility every step of the way.
How to Transfer WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone Using AnyTrans
- Download and install AnyTrans on your Mac or PC.
- Open AnyTrans and select Social Message Manager.
- Under the WhatsApp Restore section, tap From Google Drive Backup.
- Log in to your Google account, and select your WhatsApp backup history on Google Drive. Click View.
- Select the messages, calls, or attachments you want to transfer to iPhone.
- For messages and calls, connect your original Android device to your computer using USB. You need an Android smartphone to be able to decrypt the data.
- Once connected, follow the onscreen instructions to install a custom version of WhatsApp on your Android smartphone and grant the app permission to access your WhatsApp data.
- Log into the Google account on your Android device for Google Drive where the backup is located, then tap Restore within WhatsApp.
- You will be taken back to the Messages, Calls, and Attachments screen within AnyTrans. Select Messages or Calls again to bring up more conversations. Select the messages and items you want to restore.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer via USB. Once the transfer is complete, click OK.
Once you have completed this process, you will be able to see your conversations within the WhatsApp app on iPhone, including the media.
AnyTrans Social Messages Manager is not limited to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone in one click. It can also backup your WhatsApp chats and attachments and restore those entire backups to iPhone whenever needed.
Users can also preview the content of the backup, including the ability to select specific threads and export them as HTML files. These exports can then be used in a variety of ways, such as printing them for offline reading.
It does more than just WhatsApp, as it also supports Viber and Line messaging apps.
AnyTrans is available as a free download for macOS and Windows. A one-year plan that covers unlimited devices on one Mac costs $39.99, a lifetime plan is $59.99, and a family plan that works with up to five PCs and Macs costs $79.99 .