Google releases a batch of security patches and bug fixes for Android on a monthly basis, usually on the first Monday of every month. Sure enough, it’s the first Monday of April, and a new security update is now rolling out to Google Pixel phones and a few third-party devices.
April 2022 Android Security Update Bulletin
The April 2022 Security Update is divided into two different patch levels – 2022-04-01, with fixes for security issues that apply to most Android devices, and 2022-04-05, with patches that only apply to certain phones and tablets. Security level 2022-04-01 contains seven security patches for the Android framework, all of which are categorized as high risk. There are also two patches for the Media Framework and three for the system, as well as two fixes for Project Mainline components.
It is worth noting that the update Seems to have no fix For a “Dirty Pipe” vulnerability, which allows programs to overwrite data in read-only files. The temporary root access vulnerability has already been exploited on the Samsung Galaxy S22 and Google Pixel 6.
Pixel Update Bulletin / Functional Update
Google has also included a few security patches that specifically affect Pixel devices, with fixes for the Android kernel, camera, bootloader, and wireless connectivity. The major kernel fix is for the CVE-2021-34866 vulnerability, which allows applications to escalate privileges and execute arbitrary code on certain versions of the Linux Kernel.
There are also a few bug fixes for Pixel phones listed below. Google didn’t mention any new features in this update, but considering last month’s update was Android 12L/12.1, that makes sense.
Google Pixel April 2022 Update
- Additional wireless charging performance improvements with some accessories*.
- Fixed issue causing front camera preview zoom to appear in certain apps*.
- Fixes an issue that sometimes causes a green screen in the camera preview*.
- Fix crash in System UI while using PIP apps under certain circumstances*.
- Fix the issue that causes an error message to appear when setting certain live wallpapers*.
- Fixes an issue that causes the notification shade and quick settings to appear invisible after changing the wallpaper in certain circumstances*.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused animations to display incorrectly when canceling a search in the app drawer*.
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevents navigation in the overview screen while TalkBack is active*.
- Fix for an issue that sometimes prevents the recent items button to show the overview while using 3-button navigation with third-party players*.
* Included with Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5, Pixel 5a (5G), Pixel 6, and Pixel 6 Pro
* Included with Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro
Unlike some of the recent monthly updates, the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro won’t have to wait any longer than older Pixel phones. Google says the April 2022 update will roll out to all Pixel devices starting today, and some third-party phones already have it — the Exynos version of the Galaxy S21 just received the April patches with software release G99xBXXS4CVCG.
If you don’t want to wait for Google to push the update to your Pixel phone, check out our Android 12L download article for the latest OTA files and factory images.
source: Pixel phone help, Pixel update bulletin, Android security bulletin