Washington Capitals got rid of the chaos in Toronto and flew to Montreal looking to quickly put this game in the rearview mirror. The Hab has lost four times in a row as the Sabbath approaches… Can the hats make it five?
Nick Dodd brilliantly deviated from kick-off Dmitriy Orlov to open the scoring. Jake Evans brought the Habs straight back into the game with a hasty Tariq. Anthony Mantha put two goals in a row behind Sam Montembolt 4-4 before Ryan Poehling scored in the same vein. Alex Ovechkin regained his team’s lead with two goals soon after.
Ryan Boehling had another match early in the third inning, but Garnet Hathaway, Dimitri Orloff and Justin Schultz responded with three more caps. Nick Suzuki is another one. TJ O’Shea… I don’t have ways to describe goals again.
The Capitals beat the Canadians 8-4!
- It was a good first stint at least analytically for the hats as NaturalStatTrick put it on top of the Canadians in terms of high-risk five-on-five chances of 6 to 2. I didn’t like how easily Montreal got into the region so quickly and in possession though. Vitek Vanessek has had to be very good on more than one occasion to keep chances of dashing wide.
- Nick Dodd She veered home with his 10th goal of the season and 100th career point. Dowder now has 22 points per season which equals a career high he has scored twice before. great player.
- Tonight began an exciting conversation at RMNB Crashers Discord by legend Kara Bahniuk about how unfortunate the last name ‘Pitlick’ is. I can’t say she’s wrong.
Everyone is so happy to see Carrie! pic.twitter.com/4aSrG05P9b
– NHL GIFs (NHLGIFs) April 16 2022
- I actually liked the second more than the first. Things didn’t start out well at all, but I thought the hats really took it to the Hab in the back half of the period. Plus five in both the five out of five scoring chance and the higher-risk chance differentials. Four on four is still an absolute ride though, right?
- Anthony Mantha He probably could have scored about six goals in this match. He’ll accept two passes and he’s comfortable because the huge man is now one goal short of double digits of the season. Mantha scores in groups, so there must be a couple more of him on this wild ride.
- Alex Ovechkin With the 47th goal of the season and 777th in his career after a superb pass from Yevgeny Kuznetsov. Add Sam Montembeault to the list because he is the 159th goalkeeper Ovi has scored in his career. Three more please, goats.
- that gif from Tom Wilson Josh Anderson trolling with his thumb on the seat will be on Caps Twitter for the next decade. We saw history tonight guys.
Wendy Rieger, unique.
In 2018, Wendy brought us her four keys to the cup. And you wouldn’t know, they worked.
– NBC4 Sports (@NBC4Sports) April 16 2022
- The hats have been playing a lot of thirds lately which end up being just brawls like five minutes into it. This was another.
- The first four-point career match for Dmitriy Orlov In his first match after returning from injury. One of the most underrated players in the entire league.
- David Savard He was on the ice to score six of the Capitals’ goals and one of them was far away from home with an own goal. This is a tough night.
– Good tweet Pete (@peterhassett) April 17 2022
Next on the hats is a trip to the West to imitate Andrei Burakowski and the rest of the Colorado Avalanche. This won’t be easy
Title image via Caitlyn Duffy / @cdcaitlynduffy