Cowboys attorney Kelvin Joseph said he was a passenger in a vehicle from which several shots were fired last month, killing a man in the Old East Dallas area, but that Joseph was unarmed and did not kill the man. Dallas Morning News Friday.
Dallas police want to interview Joseph, 22, about his involvement in the murder of Cameron Ray, a 20-year-old who was shot early March 18. Joseph Wray was abroad with separate groups of friends. According to surveillance videos released by Dallas police this week, the groups became involved in a skirmish around 1:45 a.m. outside a nightclub and bar at 3600 Greenville Avenue, on Martell Street.
The footage shows that shortly after the fight, a black SUV drove past Ray and his group of friends, and fire was fired from at least one of the car’s windows. Ray was taken to the hospital where he died.
The Cowboys recruited Joseph, who played for LSU and Kentucky, in the second round last year.
“Kelvin Joseph did not shoot Cameron Ray,” said Barry Sorrells, Joseph’s attorney. “Mr. Ray’s death is a tragedy, and Kelvin expresses his deepest condolences for the loss of the family. On the night of March 17, Kelvin was defenseless and not looking for violence. He found himself in an escalating situation without his knowledge or consent.”
“Besides condolences to Ray’s family, Kelvin apologizes to the Dallas community for being so close to this type of incident. The investigation is ongoing, and we intend to honor the process.”
Sorrells declined to provide any details regarding Joseph’s conversation with the police, saying he would take up the matter “at a later time and at a more appropriate time”.
For the first time, the Cowboys addressed the investigation Friday in a statement provided to news.
“The Dallas Cowboys are aware of the tragic incident that occurred in Dallas on March 18. First and foremost, our hearts go out to Mr. Ray’s family and loved ones. The organization is aware of the possible connection of Kelvin Joseph to this incident. We are in contact with Dallas law enforcement and have established Notify the NFL office. We have no further comment at this time.”
An NFL spokesperson said the matter was “under review of the league’s personal conduct policy.”
The fact that the Dallas police solicited public assistance indicates that Joseph went for weeks without contacting the police about what he knew about the shooting and those involved. Texas party law will likely lead to charges for anyone who was in an SUV at the time of the shooting.
Earlier this week, Dallas police requested the public’s help in identifying the six men involved in the disturbances with Ray’s group outside the OT Tavern. Joseph has been identified, sharing facial features similar to a man in the video who was wearing a necklace that appeared to be studded with the letters “YKDV” on a medal. On Friday, they posted a video of the men.
Joseph has a nickname for rapper, YKDV Bossman Fat, which is way ahead of his time in the NFL. YKDV stands for “You Know Da Vibe”.
Joseph moderately played a rookie for the Cowboys, beginning the 2021 season in a reserve with a thigh disease he suffered during a show on August 29 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Through his first 14 games for the team, he appeared in seven games and played only 14 defensive shots, mostly contributing to special teams. He started two of his last three regular season games and ended the year with 16 tackles and two defensive passes.
This is the latest of several off-season problems for the Dallas Cowboys. A woman has sued Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, saying she is his daughter. Jones claimed she was blackmailing him, which her lawyers denied. A multi-million dollar settlement with the team’s fans after accusations of voyeurism emerged, as well as a lawsuit over a video of a sexual encounter with one of Jones’ sons.
Also Friday, the city of Dallas threatened a lawsuit against a property on Greenville Street near where Ray was shot. An associate city attorney for Dallas wrote in a letter this week that the property, which includes OT Tavern and Bar 3606, has repeatedly been the site of crimes in the past, adding that the city is now prepared to file a lawsuit if the property fails to mitigate crime.
The letter lists seven crimes on that property since 2018, including the March murder, two aggravated assault, two sexual assault, two criminal mischief, and one count of unloading a firearm. The letter stated that four of these crimes occurred during the past month.
Landlords could not be immediately reached on Friday for comment.
Councilman Paul Ridley also plans to file a protest against Bar 3606 before he files for a Texas Alcohol Authority license renewal this summer, according to his office. Ridley’s office said Ridley urged the city to take legal action against the two Barren.